Tuesday, July 12, 2011

reading list

Is there anything better to do in summer than read in the sun? I started this year off with rather lofty reading goals that I may or may not be able to achieve, but it has definitely prompted me to get back in the reading groove. Here are some of the pages I've had my nose buried in lately, plus a few that I'm setting aside for my upcoming vacation!



I hesitate to mention this series here, because I'm not sure how to describe it. These books rank very high on my list of favorites so this was actually a re-read for me. The first book in the series takes place in 1547 Scotland and introduces us to Francis Crawford of Lymond, an antihero of epic proportions. Dunnett masterfully weaves her characters into the middle of historical events with great detail. Her language is beautiful but very dense and hard to follow at times, so it can be a struggle until you give up on understanding and just enjoy the ride. These books have delighted me, made me laugh, given me a better appreciation of poetry and language, and kept me up until dawn. Some crying may have happened along the way as well. I wish I could say more about the plot, but it's all so intricate that I'm afraid I couldn't do it justice. This review I stumbled across says it much better. Suffice to say I love this series and I'm very happy to have had a chance to revisit the world of Francis Crawford.


Honestly, when I first heard the premise for these books, I was a little skeptical. A young girl, taken on as an apprentice to Sherlock Homes? It seemed like it could get a bit cheesy. And now, here I am, about to dive into the ninth book in the series. These are the sorts of mysteries I really enjoy. Very engaging and with enough suspense to keep me glued to the page, but not scary or dark in a way that will keep me up at night. There is so much talk of tea that I had to keep interrupting my reading to go put the kettle on.


Summer Reading List

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin - Yeah, ok, I totally got hooked on the show. I can't wait for it to come back on. Must. Know. What. Happens.
The Help by Kathryn Stockett - I hear this is good and I always like to read books before seeing their movies.
A Moveable Feast - Ernest Hemingway - Paris in the 20's, how is it I haven't read this already?

I am, of course, always looking for good recommendations.





No comments: