Wednesday, February 10, 2010

of puzzles and pancakes


Tuesdays are our lazy morning. The boy doesn't work until afternoon and I don't work at all so, without really meaning to, Tuesday mornings have become our morning to indulge in breakfast and laze about doing little things. This week a puzzle has been obsorbing our attention. Although, truthfully, he's put a lot more work into it than I have. I've been thinking more about pancakes.

Ages ago I spent a few weeks trying to find the perfect pancake recipe. I went through every cookbook in my mother's collection and tested them all out on my brother and myself. He was very pleased with the whole arrangement, but I was less than impressed. Until I came across the recipe in The Clueless Vegetarian for whole wheat buttermilk pancakes. They had a hearty flavor from the whole wheat flour, but they were so light and fluffy that I could eat more than one without feeling like I'd consumed a bowling ball. For years this has been my go to pancake recipe.


The thing is, everyone needs a change now and then. That's when I started thinking about buckwheat.

I tried a few recipes out, but they didn't quite have what I was looking for. So in the end I decided to go back to my old favorite and adapt it. I'm very happy with the results and the recipe fits in quite well on Tuesday mornings.

Buttermilk Buckwheat Pancakes
adapted from Evelyn Raab's recipe

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg
2 tbsp. oil

Mix your dry ingrediants together in a large bowl. Then add the buttermilk, egg and oil. Whisk.

Heat a griddle and grease with oil or butter. Pour the batter on about 1/4 cup at a time until you reach desired pancake size. Spread the batter to create an even layer. Cook until the top just starts to bubble and then flip and cook on other side until golden.

No comments: