Monday, February 22, 2010

monday music: owen pallett


I can't say I'm all that familiar with the subject of this week's music post, but I think that's about to change. I've listened to Owen Pallett's (formally known as Final Fantasy) music before, but only here and there. However, today as I was doing my radio show I happened to read through the lyrics booklet for his new album Heartland, and found myself absolutely captivated. His lyrics have a poetic quality that I'd never quite noticed before and it's given me a whole new appreciation for his music.

Here is the passage from his song, The Great Elsewhere, that caught my attention today:

Thought I saw you in my tea leaves
Thought I saw you in a forest flame
I'll fill up the silence with the sound of your holy name

Knowledge of the sea-ways, knowledge of how the water flows
Whoever coined the phrase has never had to brave the snow
I climbed the shroud to the top-sail and I peeked through the glass
The curvature bisected by the wintry mizzen mast

The scar upon my stomach, I call it my Flying V
And every time I show it I can feel your eyes on me
How many islands will surrender to the blunderbuss?
And how long must we sail before you show your face to us?


Isn't that beautiful? It calls to mind so many images for me.

His new album, Heartland, is out now and I can't wait to listen to the whole thing. You can also check out the Take Away Show that he did.

No comments: