Thursday, June 3, 2010

rhubarb madness

When it comes to baked goods, I can pretty much be won over by anything that has rhubarb in it. Pies, cakes, muffins, you name it. I love it by itself and even more so when partnered with all manner of fruits.

Over the past week or so I was on the hunt for a good recipe to kick off a rhubarb baking spree, inspired by the gorgeous tarts I spotted on forty-sixth at grace. And while my finished product is nowhere near as dainty, I still think it's a winner.

Allow me to introduce to my rhubarb galette.



Of course, it's not really my galette, it's Martha's. In addition to this recipe I bookmarked a whole bunch more (raspberry-rhubarb tarts anyone?) that I hope to try out before the season is over.

All in all, this was pretty easy to make. The pate brisee was a little tricky for me, but it came out all right in the end. I would suggest rolling it out on the parchment paper to avoid tearing the dough when you find it's impossible to peel off your countertop... just saying. I was a bit worried it might be overly sweet, but the rhubarb definitely triumphs over the sugar and plays off the lemon juice very nicely.

I indulged this morning and had a piece for breakfast, but it would be a lovely dessert with a bit of vanilla ice cream on the side.

No comments: