Friday, February 4, 2011

aftermath


(top photo by the boy. bottom photo by me.)

Ice storms can be scary, messy things, but the aftermath is something entirely different. My ride in to work the past two mornings has been stunning. Every branch and twig is covered in a layer of ice, and when the sun shines... oh. All the forests have become silver and magical. I wished that my rides were taking me someplace different, where I could walk in the woods and listen to the trees bend inside their casings. All this may sound silly and overly poetic, but it's nice to find something beautiful and exciting about this time of year, when winter is wearing thin.

So here we are at Friday, and these are the things I'm thinking about.

The two new albums I just bought on vinyl. So excited to give them both a listen.

These pictures have me dreaming of far off places and dream vacations.

I have almonds soaking in the kitchen so that tomorrow I can make homemade almond milk for the first time. Since I've been trying lately to go mostly-kinda-sometimes-almost-vegan, almond milk is my favorite thing to put in tea. Here's hoping the homemade version tastes good too.

I really like this dress.

The cookbook I just added to my collection is full of delicious recipes and I can't wait to try them.

The big question of the night in our house is what sort of weather tomorrow will bring. Snow? A wintry mix? More ice? We shall see.

Happy weekend!


No comments: