Tuesday, September 13, 2011

DSC_0955

Things have been keeping me away from blogging lately. Things like these last warm days and painting the living room (finally!) and canning lots of jam. And baking. But baking is one of those things that always makes me want to post here, so it's bagels that bring me here today. After all, homemade bagels are entirely worthy of a post all to themselves.

I got the recipe from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice (also our source for amazing pizza dough) and followed it closely. I think the bagel recipe was actually what prompted me to buy the book ages ago, but it's kind of a lengthy process and I got intimidated. But, as I discovered, it's really not terribly difficult once you find the time to get going. And the reward is hot, chewy, golden bagels with your choice of toppings.

The recipe makes a dozen so I thought we'd set aside a weeks worth and freeze the rest. HA. The first half dozen were gone in two days. We ate them with jam, with eggs, with butter, and with afternoon tea. And of course I took pictures.

img750

img748

1 comment:

debabroad said...

Ooooo! Those look delish...nom!